Repeat pattern of a cockatiel: acetone transfer print on Japanese paper 297 x 420 mm (Image: 242 x 307 mm) Created in response to the ‘Penguins’ print by Margaret Calkin James, 1963

Repeat Pattern of a Cockatiel

The concept of my work is to respond to Margaret Calkin James’s ‘Penguins,' but with a cockatiel portrait print. I choose cockatiels because I have four and they are far away. The methodology of creating work today is different to that of 100 years ago. I use both digital and analog methods to develop my ideas. I appreciate Calkin James’s simple, striking colour palette, geometrical style and repeat patterns. It inspired me to work with repetition and layers. Repetition is one of the most significant features of Calkin James’s works, and I use repetition to connect with her work. ‘Penguins’ is printed with three inks separately, so, I illustrated my work in three layers, and each layer contains one colour, yellow, orange and black. Through my work, I tried to express my feelings towards and observation of Margaret Calkin James and created this piece in homage to her work.

Exhibition Catalogue

'I Don't Know Her Name, But I Know Her Work' is a display of graphic design by current students of Central Saint Martins along with work from alumni and staff of one of its predecessor colleges, the Central School of Arts and Crafts.

Penguins’ Print

Margaret Calkin James, 1895 – 1985, calligrapher, graphic designer, printmaker, and painter. Student of the Central School 1913-1915

Feedback

If you are having problems logging in, please include your email address.