During the COVID-19, we need to live with masks every day, and it has become the new normal. Except for the eyes, people's facial features are covered. This makes people pay more attention to the other person's eye language, and even guess the other person's expression and emotion through the eyes and the muscles around the eyes. However, we cannot avoid that eyes can sometimes be deceiving . If people only show their eyes, can you accurately guess the person's mood or other facial features? Is this person happy or angry? Is this person's mouth open or closed? Therefore, I made a poster using AR technology, which means that you can scan my poster with your mobile phone, and the poster will show its dynamic form. The title of the poster is SEE THE WHOLE, I presented myself with three different expressions by constantly putting on and taking off the mask while keeping my eyes still. The title takes on a fragmented form, with the viewer unable to see the full title until the mask is completely removed and the face is fully exposed. I hope to use this form to remind the audience to look at the whole picture, whether it is defining each other's emotions or facing anything in our lives.

SEE THE WHOLE - Dynamic posters

SEE THE WHOLE

The static form of the poster

SEE THE WHOLE

This is a poster with AR technology, which means that you can scan my poster with your mobile phone, and the poster will show its dynamic form. However, since this technology requires you to download a professional software to see, so I will show you this effect in the form of a video and gif.

NN Project inspiration

My project began with my thinking about the question: "What changed us during the Covid-19 ? ". I believe that the COVID-19 has brought about many changes in our lives, as well as new normalcy. So I made a mind map for it. For me, I think the biggest change is that we now need to live with masks every day, and it has become the new normal. Through my observation of this phenomenon, I found that, except for the eyes, people's facial features are covered. This makes people pay more attention to the other person's eye language, and even guess the other person's expression and emotion through the eyes and the muscles around the eyes. Also try to use our eyes to convey more language and meaning. So I was really inspired by eye contact, and I want to do further research from here.

Process

Therefore, I painted Sketchbook and invited some models to photograph their expressions under different emotions when wearing masks or not. Interestingly, I found that when the models made some different expressions, their eyes were the same shape. This discovery encouraged me to think beyond the point of "eye contact” and pushed me to think more deeply.

DECEPTIVE

I found the point "Deceptive". Just like the expressions of the models I photographed, eyes may reflect human emotions more directly than words, but we cannot avoid and need to admit that eyes can sometimes be deceiving . If people only show their eyes, can you accurately guess the person's mood or other facial features? Is this person happy? Sad or angry? Is this person's mouth open or closed? I think we need to see the whole, before we define it. So I tried to do some expressions, kept the eye shape the same, just changed the shape of my mouth. I found that once I put on the mask, I couldn't feel my real emotions because my eyes looked the same. This also shows that different emotions can be the same expression, so don't define a person's real emotions just because of the look in the eyes. At that time, the choice of what form to express the deception of the eyes, becames a question. Finally, I chosed a new attempt for me – The AR poster. Currently, AR is a very popular technology, which has been applied in architecture, graphic design, film and other fields to interact with people. The effect of AR poster is that when the audience takes the camera function of the mobile phone and looks at a static poster, the picture above of that poster will change irregularly. I think that static and dynamic changes allow me to explain the variation between eye contact and emotion, And show a deceptive side. Plus, the most important thing is being able to interact with people, which is a bit like the feeling of "making eye contact with people". Therefore, as a student majoring in interior design, I didn't have much experience in graphic design. But the form of Ar poster can show my ideas more directly than other forms, so I am willing to try and learn new technologies for this purpose. Through patient attempt and hard study, I successfully connected the code of dozens of photos with AR programming software and completed my NN project.

Explain the finished product in detail

The first thing you'll see is someone's face, that's me, hahaha. I chose my face as the main body of my poster and the background, clothing and even the mask were all black, because it would help the audience's attention directly focuses on the bright part of the poster, which is my face, my eyes,I want to highlight my eyes and facial changes. In addition, I think if the poster is too flat, it will reduce the stereoscopic effect of the characters' expressions. Besides, this is an AR poster, so it will be more effective to select the three-fourths of a face compared with the front face. On the other hand, I used three expressions to represent common expressions in life, and connected those expressions together. I believe this can be a surprise, because before I took my mask off, you'd think that if my eyes were the same, my mouth would be the same. But it's not, through the mask constantly put on and off, you will see that my mouth is different each time without changed my eyes. In the same way, this also leads to some thoughts on the subject : Why are the eyes the same but the emotions different? Why can't we just look at one part and define the whole. In addition, other details echo my theme. The text with the title of the project takes on a fragmented , even two-dimensional code like form, which symbolizes the fragmented information that we're exposed to in our lives. We cannot see all the information, because a lot of it is covered. The more we see, the more information we get, the more we can piece together the facts. We don't see a full title until the mask is completely removed and the face is fully exposed. The above details allude to the thematic significance of the project. In addition to sound, people guess each other's emotions and language through their eyes. Eyes can convey real emotions, but they can also be deceiving at sometimes. So, look at the whole picture, whether it's defining each other's emotions or facing anything in our lives.