The Emotional Diary of Quarantine Jiale Ding 21/9/2020 The coronavirus threatens not only our physical health but also our psychological well-being. We should not only pay attention to the trend of the coronavirus, but also the mental health of people (especially doctors, nurses and patients). My new normal project is named:‘The Emotional Diary of Quarantine’. During my quarantine at home, I often can't concentrate and sometimes feel anxious, and I find that my friends and I have the same feelings. This is the first place I got inspiration. Then I took inspiration for my project from a report entitled diaries of medical staff fighting against the coronavirus. Reading their stories led me to contemplate the subject of emotions. From this contemplation, I developed my own ideas into a series of digital collages. I think collage is particularly suitable for expressing emotions. I searched for elements that can symbolize the emotions I wanted to express, and then I arranged these images to make collages to show four emotional themes:’The Fear of Coronavirus’,’The Pain of Loss’,’The Boredom of Quarantine’ and ‘The Missing of Relatives and Friends’.I hoped these collage works can capture everyone’s attention to mental health issues during the quarantine.

The Fear of Coronavirus

During the quarantine, the news of the coronavirus has always made me feel very anxious. Most of the collages under this theme use some elements that express fear and anxiety.

The Fear of Coronavirus

The Fear of Coronavirus

In that period, many people lost their loved ones, and they felt pain and sadness. My collage elements under this theme are mainly things that people often do when they are lost, such as crying, smoking and drinking.

The Fear of Coronavirus

The Fear of Coronavirus

For a very boring time, I often fell into a daze or collapsed on the sofa. The only question I thought about was what to eat for the next meal. This makes me feel like an old man with dementia and physical weakness, so I use the sick old man as the main element.

The Fear of Coronavirus

The Fear of Coronavirus

I hope we can continue to communicate and shake hands with people friendly as soon as possible.

The Fear of Coronavirus

I haven't met and chatted with my friends and my family hasn't visited our relatives for a long time. I hope the situation will get better as soon as possible, and then I will meet my loved ones and give them a big hug.