Using costume interpret the concept of 'restriction' in The Tempest, written by Shakespeare. There is plenty of costumes design, historical research in it.

WORLD BOARD

The play would be happen in amuseument park with the lake. This is a mgical world (in amusement park), use the lighting paint the sky in rainbow like Peter Pan. Cause the script didn't mension the time, so themtime in my world is stationary. (the light is sustainable to simulate the rainbow sky forever.) The performer wearing the costume inspired from 1600s European, and allow to fly in the sky with wire work lifting (magic world to children). My target audience is the family with children as education. Teaching some about the 'ristriction' in history is not that fair and right. Namely that, the power of class, unequal between gender and women born for marriage, etc.

CONCEPT BOARD

CHARACTER BOARD FOR CALIBAN

Caliban represents the black magic of his mother and initially appears bad, especially when judged by conventional civilized standard. He is a poor judge of character. In many ways, Caliban is an innocent, reacting to emotional and physical needs without the ability to think through and fully understand the events and people who surround him he is truly a child of nature, uneducated and reacting to his surroundings in much the same way that an animal does.

CHARACTER BOARD FOR MIRANDA

I would like to use swan, baby breath , bright moon and bloom to express her innocent. The metal corset, vase and golden cage illustrate her restriction by her father, she must fall in love with Prince Ferdinand because her father wish to, so I put the pink crystal heart and golden key which is match with Ferdinand, she has similar colour tone with Ferdinand, I really want they look like match perfectly like couple.

story board

MIranda Final 1

MIranda Final

CHARACTER BOARD FOR FERDINAND

As far as I am concerned, he will be a pair with Miranda, they will look like the perfect couple in a similar colour tone. Rose petal express the romantic and ;fall in love at first sight' (with Miranda). The pinky crystal heart and lock match with the Miranda ones.

FERDINAND FINAL 1

FERDINAND FINAL

CHARACTER BOARD FOR ARIEL

As we known that Ariel is a spirit in 'THE TEMPEST' , she is changeable, like the wind in the air, has many form. She can change a ppearance and sihouette of her body and live in the forest. She desire for freedom but restricted by Prospero's demand. However she is wise and magical. She approaches his tasks with enthusiasm, quikly doing what is asked and promptly reporting any activities that he observes. I give Ariel a human looks b ecause ariel's obedience is an important symbol of Prospero's humanity, because he ameliorates prospero's role on the island and humanizes the action that Prospero taes against his old adversaries. The voile on head keep mysterious vibe and hard to breath, no freedom.

ARIEL FINAL 1

ARIEL FINAL 2