Little Women the musical (Italia Conti Arts Centre, 2019)

This musical based on Louisa May Alcott’s beloved novel and performed on Broadway in 2006 follows the adventures of the four March sisters to find their true self in the domestic and outside world. “The Civil War is in full swing, and the March sisters - Meg, the oldest, a romantic, the spirited and tomboyish Jo, sweet and loving Beth, and irascible, playful Amy - live in Concord, Massachusetts with their Marmee while their father is on the battlefield.” The 2019 Italia Conti production, reimagined by London based stage director Tom O'Brien, tells the story with a variety of dramatic elements including Lisa Rowley's choreography, Sangju Lee and Yueyi Zhang’s costumes and sets of one-place-format of the attic which is the March sisters’ fortress and citadel. The intimate atmosphere of the set which realised Little Women’s attic invites the audience to the illusion of witnessing the characters’ lives and stories in the same room, not the theatre. In one space, actors use antique objects such as trunks and old books, and dynamic movements to take the audience to various times and spaces and convey the soul of this female bildungsroman which has been loved from all over the world for more than 150 years.

Italia Conti's Little Women the musical - Trailer

"I will show them all that I'm no little woman in a dress all buttoned and pearled"