In this series of paintings, I want to examine the ideas of cultural memory in relations of culture and desires in the digital age by aware of the changes in surroundings. In my research paper, I describe a blurred image with black fragments accidentally appear on my laptop screen, which seemed to me to represent memory. My research interests included painting, photographic image and culture memory. The final painting series marries elements of history western landscape photography for the nineteenth century and Chinese landscape photography for the nineteenth century. I am looking not only at my achievements, but also at the broader implications of my experiences, as indicators of cultural shift in England, in terms of attitudes to, and relationships with China, its people and culture.

From German Consul’s House to Amoy

In this series of paintings, I want to examine the ideas of memory in relations of culture and desires. In exploring these contexts, I did some research about the history of Amoy for my cultural practices, both contemporary and historical. As the series progresses, I will return to re-examine from different angles key topics and concepts such as ‘creativity’, ‘autonomy’, ‘value’ and ‘representation’. The studio practice enables me to attain critical points of reflection regarding my artistic production, and to allow me to be more clearly position about concerning contemporary concerns. I focus in on aspects of contradiction while exploring how seemingly disparate elements connect to get beneath the surface of things and observe the ever-shifting historical production of practices, knowledge and belief.