Chanel Joan Elkayam, 22, had already established a successful luxury womenswear brand before enrolling at Central Saint Martins. Her namesake brand led her to achieve the record of being the youngest designer in history to complete the four primary fashion weeks by the age of 20. As does her brand, Elkayam’s final collection is a testament to her strength in storytelling and evoking emotion. Naturally gravitating towards powerful women, the designer chose Mata Hari, known as the greatest female spy of the 20th century, as her muse. ‘Her self-obsession and sexual chemistry with men in uniform was of great inspiration to me,’ she tells me. One of her looks, comprising of a transparent silk organza dress worn beneath a cropped wool military jacket, alludes to Hari’s undercover career as a sought after courtesan to soldiers and an exotic dancer. While Elkayam’s main focus now is to grow her brand, she is open to the idea of working at other fashion houses.

Bio Written by - Dayna Tohidi, BA (Hons) Fashion Journalism

Chanel Joan Elkayam - Central Saint Martins - BA Womenswear Showcase

My BA Fashion Womenswear graduate collection showcase video. HUGE thank you to everyone involved. This video was created during lockdown and all collaborations were done remotely with 0 physical contact. Photos coming soon. . Clothing: @CJE_OFFICIAL Shoes: @shoe_man_dan X @cje_official Jewellery: @lovelock.jewels Music: @antigoni Hair: @cbasciu @lorealpro @richardwardhair Mua: @peggysagecodeuk @charlottemariemuaa Filming: @jde_photography & @theelkayamgroup Film editing: @cje_official Models: @chaneljoanelkayam @fauvepenketh @oliviaforsbrook and @jodiehull. Thank you Central Saint Martins for the most amazing yet demanding 5 years of my life. I am forever grateful for these special years that have curated, changed and crafted me into the designer I am today. www.chaneljoanelkayam.com www.instagram.com/cje_official