I wanted to find a way of storytelling, which wouldn’t be restricted by a specific narrative- to show storytelling, rather than show an actual story. I settled on Morse Code, a dash and a dot, but universally recognised. What’s more the changes in specific stories will result in new, unique patterns.

Embroidery is traditionally seen as woman’s work, I therefore, wanted to show stories which felt female in their tone. I took snippets from the Dear Cathy and Claire page from Jackie magazine. They’re sweet, earnest and speak of girls struggling as they become women. They’re unimportant to anyone except the girls, and the idea of someone trying to decode the dots and dashes only to find it to be silly trivia about boys appealed to me.

After much experimentation, I decided to make an artefact, which would have every digit of Morse Code individually embroidered. A cushion is easy to construct has the perfect surface on which to embroider. Furthermore, it's something you rest and sleep on, just as you sleep on your secrets, keeping them tucked away in your head. To embroider coded secrets as decoration onto a tangible artefact felt like a good final outcome. The cushion reads My friend gets all the boys. It's embroidered on off-white linen with a white cotton lining.

Final outcome in the making!

My friend gets all the boys, final outcome (front)

My friend gets all the boys, final outcome (side)

My friend gets all the boys, final outcome (back)

Final outcome in the making!

My friend Kathy gets all the boys

Danny's married, but I really really fancy him

Morse Code embroidery alphabet