We live in a strange time, basically, between 2019 and 2020, the world has changed dramatically. No one can explain whats going on. In the face of diseases and natural disasters, people's malice is expanded and too many innocent people were harmed. In such a world environment, especially when people's lives can not be guaranteed, people seem to give up thinking for others and focus on themselves. This is the last situation that artists want to see. Because art is a link between people, culture and culture, it can never be created alone. Just like the words of ao3 when it won the Hugo prize: art creation is not an island, it is born in groups. Despite the many barriers between us, we still have the opportunity to rethink and define our relationship with others and touch the hope.

At the beginning, I carefully studied the main points of the project, and that is "responding to real events.". This response is not only to express reality with works or ideas, but also to be critical and creative.
We live in a strange time, basically, between 2019 and 2020, the world has changed dramatically. No one can explain whats going on. In the face of diseases and natural disasters, people's malice is expanded and too many innocent people were harmed. According to the time line, we can see that the outbreak of the covid-19 epidemic in January, and the outbreak of Ebola virus in Africa begin in February, when the wild fire in Australia just stopped. In May, a parade broke out in the United States, and countless people died in this men made disaster. All of this triggered my thinking. In such a world environment, especially when people's lives can not be guaranteed, people seem to give up thinking for others and focus on themselves. This is the last situation that artists want to see. Because art is a link between people, culture and culture, it can never be created alone. Just like the words of ao3 when it won the Hugo prize: art creation is not an island, it is born in groups.
That's why I started thinking about the distance between people.
I've written a lot of my thoughts here. I extended my thinking from the keywords of isolation, stratification, estrangement and gap, and combined with my personal experience to ponder over how to express my ideas. For example, I write here: everyone wants to be safe, so we can't blame others for self-help. But it does widen the gap between people. When people are in danger, they are far apart, even if they stand together. It's just like small single rooms one by one, separating everyone. But there's a good thing about everything: the epidemic has given us more time to think calmly than usual, and I have to say, this is the slowest period of our life. So what I've learned from these words and ideas is that, despite the many barriers between us, we still have the opportunity to rethink and define our relationship with others and touch the hope.
Following this idea, I found the perfect material: eggshell. An egg is a strange thing. Its shell seems very weak and easy to break, but it doesn't break when it's held hard by one hand. Let's do an experiment: This is a raw egg, no crack. When I wrap it and squeeze it... It doesn't break at all. This is because it has an arc-shaped appearance, which can evenly disperse the pressure. But when the chick wants to come out of the eggshell, it will break it with its sharp beak. That's why I am very interested in it: when we are in such an environment, the pressure from the outside will only make the barrier more unbreakable. Only the sharp vitality from our heart can break this barrier and breathe fresh air again.

Reference resources

Reference resources

Experiment 2 and the final work's image

Experiment_1

Reference resource

Choose the material

The mind map

Reference resources