The Heatwave, a work based on the climate crisis, was created using drawings on paper, photographs, and electronic charts, and then computerised as an electronic image. The background of the work is based on the similarities between the manifestations of the climate crisis and the data record graphs that I have gradually discovered in my research. People's living space is becoming less and less available due to climate crisis phenomena such as forest fires, dried up rivers and floods. In the bar chart of temperature records of the climate crisis, the upper blank space is also becoming smaller due to rising temperatures. Both have elements that are diminishing due to the climate crisis and the work began to develop based on this background. After this, I looked up Woman Before The Rising Sun (by Caspar David Friedrich, 1818), The Icebergs (by Frederic Church, 1861) and Wörthersee Stadion (by Klaus Littmann, 2019), these climate crisis-related artworks also provided me with ideas on how to draw and what elements to draw in the picture to express my view of the climate crisis. At the same time, I began to investigate how to represent the landscape I wanted to show in the margins of the bar graphs. I chose three forms to show the local landscape: computer drawing, drawing on paper and photographing. Each of the three methods has its own characteristics, for example the drawing on paper is in my opinion the strongest of the three.

The Heatwave

Inspiration and Mind maps