An experimental short film about the discussion of sea level rise. The main character eats noodles in the rising water, thus expressing the crisis caused by the rising sea level. The video is about one minute long.

underwater life

The name of my project is Underwater Life, a short video where the main character eats noodles in the water. The main elements are people, water and food. The duration of the video is 1 minute.

My inspiration was twofold: the first was a brainstorming session about what I would do if the city I live in were to flood due to rising sea levels. The second was when I read two news reports during my research: the Alpine glacier melt reached its maximum in 60 years on July 28th and Greenland will melt 6 million tons of seawater a day. This was a very serious warning, and a conflicting dramatic performance was planned around this conjecture.

In the research phase, I first created mindmaps centered on the climate crisis, selected keywords to find relevant news data, created mood boards and searched for relevant artworks. Olafur Eliasson's Life(2021) is a combination of living space and nature. Nele Azevedo used 1,000 little ice men to warn people about rising temperatures(Melting Men,2019). I found that the works reflect the central idea that man and nature are a community of destiny, and secondly, I believe that no human or other creature can survive without food, so I chose eating as an element. And the fact that humans living in water is an impossible thing, this point of conflict is also my original intention of doing this project. The actors will eat in the rising water stream, and the video speed will be at 0.5 times faster, simulating the speed in the water, to give the audience an immersive experience.

Video Interception

Video Interception

Stills