The Dreamachine is a series of work, including a Research paper, a series of silkscreen mono prints, a group publication, a Zine and a Participatory Experience, all based on an original artwork by Brion Gysin and Ian Sommerville. The Dreamachine is a stroboscopic device that stimulates your brain to produce a visual response when viewed through closed eyelids. It was an Art-Science collaboration decades before the label became part of the artistic vernacular. In my research paper, I follow the Dreamachine through different artistic interpretations, from Gysin’s original to the most recent version by Collective Act in 2022. Through the lens of Dreamachine as research object, I examine the evolution of art and science as a field, in particular the development of art and science collaborations to new multidisciplinary ways of working.

Dreamachine Preview

Polypropelene Cylinders based on Brion Gysin and Ian Sommerville's original design

The Dreamachine: Art, Science and the Stroboscopically Induced Visual Experience [abridged]

Article in Interstice Art & Science Group Publication [design credit Karolina Gliniewicz]

Ventral Dreaming, Silkscreen Monoprint, [Detail]

Screenprint

Dreamachine Zine

Zine created to accompany MAAS X Black Lab, an Art & Science event I organised and curated.

Building a Dreamachine

Dreamachine Cylinder & MDF Retainer

Polypropelene Cylinder based on Brion Gysin and Ian Sommerville's original design and MDF 'Retainer' to prevent slipping - my design

Dreamachine Cylinders

Laser cut Polypropelene Cylinders based on Brion Gysin and Ian Sommerville's original design

Dreamachine Cylinder

Polypropelene Cylinder based on Brion Gysin and Ian Sommerville's original design