What do you think when the familiar things from your childhood are disappearing? In my hometown Chongqing, wheat fields are disappearing due to climate change and urban development. The impact of small-scale farming families in urban transformation is very serious, which makes me start to think, is climate change a national or personal matter? I made the series of jewellery to explore how the wheat fields will develop during the climate change in the future, named after ‘the migration of wheat’. The rings are made of sustainable raw materials such as wheat roots and stalks, and combined with visualizing data of the change of annual wheat field area to form the surface pattern. The rectangular and circular patterns on the ring are inspired by abstract images of two kinds of wheat diseases, they can leave marks on the skin through uneven surfaces, this symbolizes the impact of wheat migration on the fields and people. This artwork aims to objectively discuss the relationship between climate, crops, and people. I hope people will cherish crops and the land around them more, and pay attention to the farmer families behind them.

The Migration of Wheat #ClimateCrisis2024

What do you think when the familiar things from your childhood are disappearing? In my hometown Chongqing, wheat fields are disappearing due to climate change and urban development. The impact of small-scale farming families in urban transformation is very serious, which makes me start to think, is climate change a national or personal matter? I made the series of jewellery to explore how the wheat fields will develop during the climate change in the future, named after ‘the migration of wheat’. The rings are made of sustainable raw materials such as wheat roots and stalks, and combined with visualizing data of the change of annual wheat field area to form the surface pattern. The rectangular and circular patterns on the ring are inspired by abstract images of two kinds of wheat diseases, they can leave marks on the skin through uneven surfaces, this symbolizes the impact of wheat migration on the fields and people. This artwork aims to objectively discuss the relationship between climate, crops, and people